Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bienvenidos

Hola estudiantes!

This blog will be a place where I share my thoughts on how our class is going, highlight some great work, and share some resources/ support for you and your blogging.

To get things started my first blog post will be like your first blog post, a letter of introduction from me to you.

Dear students,

Hola! Como estas? (Hi! How are you?) I'm very well. I had a great break and I'm back ready to work to help you learn about Spanish language and culture and have fun while doing it!

There are a few things that are important in my life. My family is important, but I don't get to see them very much because my parents live in Missouri and my brother teaches English out in Los Angels. I also have a few close friends that have helped me though a lot, so I'm very grateful for them. Another thing that important to me is my health. Not too long ago, I realized if I got a good night's sleep and ate an apple instead of potato chips I felt much better.

I started taking Spanish classes like many of you, in high school. I wasn't that great at it and yea, I remember being really frustrated sometimes! It was hard and I thought my teachers were crazy. When I got to college I signed up for Spanish level 3 but didn't do too well and had to take it over again. Spanish was never easy, and I felt embarrassed every time I spoke to someone in Spanish. But I really wanted to travel and I loved learning about the history and culture of Spanish speaking countries so I stuck with it. In college I applied to travel just about every semester or summer, and I haven't stopped traveling since! And as I travel, my Spanish gets better and better. I keep practicing by listening to music in Spanish, and listening to radio shows/watching TV, and reading Harry Potter (or Twilight) in Spanish.

I've had many good experiences with other languages and cultures. When I was in college I studied abroad in Switzerland and Argentina. Then I got an internship in Mexico, then in Switzerland. Since college I've traveled to Costa Rica, Peru, Spain and Mexico. In each of these experiences I have learned so much, and I'm looking forward to my next trip!

During my travels I've had some negative experiences. I've been mugged, and I've also had some gnarly food poisoning. There have been times when people were offended because I did something they thought was inappropriate but I didn't know. These lessons have taught me to be humble and as kind as possible to anyone I meet.

For me to be a successful teacher I need you (my students) to try your best. We have tried to set up this class to allow students to be creative, passionate, reflective, and honest about their work. Reading directions carefully will also take you very far.

When I think of a vision for myself in the future, I think of myself as continuously learning. There is so much I still don't know about, so much my students will teach me, and so many adventures to be had. I hope one day to take you to Costa Rica.

I have a lot of hobbies and interests. I love music and I play the guitar and piano. I like all kinds of music, and before I was a teacher I wrote and took photos for music magazines in St. Louis and Chicago. I also love taking photos and I dabble in making videos of places I go and things I see/do. I also like long distance running and biking. I hope to bike from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. in 2013. I like making jigsaw puzzles, coloring, reading books, and knitting.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and helping you learn Spanish!

Regards,
Ms. Bordner

No comments:

Post a Comment